Mentone Primary School Logo Mentone Primary School Slogan

Mentone PS 1889 to today

Mentone Leased School No. 2950* first opened temporarily on 15 April 1889 in rented Mentone Hall with Mr George Moore as Acting Head Teacher.

The hall was rented for six months at 1 pound per week while a new school on Childers Street was being built next to local timber mill Caudwell's Timbery. On 14 October 1889, Mentone State School No. 2950 building was completed and Mr David W. Birrell was appointed Head Teacher.

The single-storey red brick school building measured 40 feet by 25 feet and officially accommodated 105 children. In fact, about 135 children were enrolled with an average of 60 children attending any given day. Mentone State School was raised to full status to include Grades 4 to 6 in May 1908 and Mr Thomas Townsend became Head Master (1908 to 1922).  

*Metropolitan (1) District, school district No. 195

Milestones:

1920s Second storey added to original school building
1928 The Victorian Reader by Charles Long is first published
1929 The Blakes set up corner store and lunch shop on Childers Street
1932 Mentone State School Football Team won Victorian State Schools' Championship
1930 Playing oval extended onto timber mill site.
1950s Further expansions of school premises
1960s School had 9 classes in the red brick building and 20 full-time teachers
1968 School's first library in a portable double-classroom with first librarian Mrs Val McKenna
1973-4 First woman principal of Mentone State School: Miss Gladys Wheeler
1975 ANA prize for most improved school grounds. Five children
attend the Somers camp
1975-6 Principal Mr John O'Malley welcomed and encouraged parents' active participation
1976 Anglesea camp for Grades 4, 5 and 6
8/1979 After-school care program starts (3.30pm to 6pm)
1988 Principal Mr Rick Bruce
1989 100th school anniversary celebrations
2005 Extensive upgrade in school buildings and facilities
2006 Principal Mr Chris Chant
2008 New Oval completed
2009 120 Years of Educations Celebrations